Crazy Speeds and Elevations?

If you have trouble with or suggestions for GPSLogger II (or GPSLogger) feel free to post your question/problem/suggestion here
petes99
New User
New User

Crazy Speeds and Elevations?

Post by petes99 »

Hi there - First.. this app is awesome, thank you so much for it.

Second - does anyone else get crazy - I mean CRAZY - speed/elevation data every once in a while? Like - often enough that I can't really use the app for anything useful?

If you can get here.. I logged a round of golf over the weekend:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/12 ... 0.110.html .. (attaching file if the link doesnt work). I also attached a elevation/speed chart.. you'll see there are some insane speeds as well as locations, listed at two points.
golf - speed and elevation
golf - speed and elevation
I was walking.. but somehow the GPS chip said I was breaking the sound barrier at one point?

Also, attached is a visualized version of a run I took last night.. where somehow I hit over 80mph.. on foot.. running..
run
run
Anyone see anything like this before? Is it my phone? BTW I have a Tour 9630..

pete
Attachments
golf tracks
golf tracks
emac
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crazy Speeds and Elevations?

Post by emac »

Hello Pete,

thanks for your post - it looks like the new Tour comes with some new "bug" concerning the GPS-API... I do not have a better explanation - There is a common Interface to the GPS-Antenna that most of the GPS Applications are using there is a function that should check, if a (from the GPS-Antenna) receive location information is "valid" - this function worked quite good in the devices I know/tested.

The new Tour seams to have a different behaviour - I was already forced to manually add in my code additional checks for the received location, since the method on the Tour returned 'true' even if Lon or Lat have the zero values [yes in theory these are valid values - but for sure not in the USA] - so I am assuming that there is a bug in the so called isValid() Method in the Tour OS...

The second this which is obvious is, that it looks like while you are running you have lost the GPS-Signal (no sats) - this of course then can cause false data when you come back into an area where sats can be found again... That's also not an excuse but I could say more, if you might like provide us with the gpl file...
[[uups]|[uups2]|[...]
GooglePixel 3|

[Heinebach]|[Bischofsheim]|[Rotenburg/Fulda]|[Bielefeld]|[Toronto]|[Rietberg]
petes99
New User
New User

Post by petes99 »

ah yes, the GPLs! sorry.. adding here!

looking at the Run one, it definitely appears to not be on the right "track" for some time.
Attachments
Desktop.zip
golf and run GPLs - (can't attach .gpl)
(53.21 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
longbeachangler
New User
New User

Post by longbeachangler »

I had the same problem, showed me biking at 300 MPH.

Also on a Blackberry Tour. The weird thing is it worked flawlessly every time when I first installed, and the last few runs, it has not worked!

Hopefully there is a fix on the way, this is an amazing application if if works.

Anyone have any other fixes or workarounds??
emac
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emac »

Huston - we got a problem...

Actually I just can guess why it work at the start for you is, that at the beginning you are nor moving far away... looks like that for some reason the tour is loosing the real position somehow at a certain point of them - and then - all of a sudden - the correct position will be recieved/calculated - and this moment cause these WARPs with these insane alt/speed effects... I am very sorry even if it sounds like a lame excuse but it looks like that RIM have messed up something in the GPS on the new Tour :-| Could it be, that you get out of the range of phone cell ??? and once the warp occurs then in the moment when you come back into the range of the cell tower?

Just as side node of Storm an Bold you have the problem, that you always receive negative alt values... so RIM have some sort of history having issues with GPS-Signals for quite some time... :roll:
[[uups]|[uups2]|[...]
GooglePixel 3|

petes99
New User
New User

Post by petes99 »

This is too bad!!

As I had another GPS issue (where stopped working very often) I returned my Tour for a new one. The new one works much better, however my first use of GPSlogger threw some odd data at me again. Used it this morning and it worked great - so its definitely hit or miss.

Is there any way to delete these really bad instances of data, easily? I have played around with the GPX/KML's and removed them, but then all of the calculated information is still off (top speed, etc).
emac
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emac »

that's indeed a bad news - concerning the data cleanup - I suggest to make a CSV export, clean the data in excel and then - well then a CSV import in GPSLogger is missing *shame* - when you think, that cleaning the data via excel it s nice work around, then I'll promise to implement the CSV import - then you can export as csv, do the cleanup, import as csv and then export the corrected path as KML or GPX... [of course best would be, if the Tour would provide you always with good data]... Just one thing I am curious - could my assumption be correct, that it have to do with the fact, that the phone cell is in range / out of range???
[[uups]|[uups2]|[...]
GooglePixel 3|

petes99
New User
New User

Post by petes99 »

hi there emac,

as far as i know, i am in full coverage at these times - however, my first Tour had some signal problems. i will keep an eye on it next time i use the app!

good idea on the CSV - thanks!
emac
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emac »

petes99 wrote:good idea on the CSV - thanks!
So I consider this as "yes - please implement the import" ?
[[uups]|[uups2]|[...]
GooglePixel 3|

petes99
New User
New User

Post by petes99 »

Hate to make more work.. so would the steps be - edit the GPL, remove 'bad data', then drop the file back onto the phone, and GPSlogger could re-import the file?
emac
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emac »

The routine would be: export as csv - transfer to the PC - edit in excel - transfer to the phone - import CSV in GPSLogger...
[[uups]|[uups2]|[...]
GooglePixel 3|

Return to “GPSLogger II / GPSLogger v1.x”